🗞 Course Creators Weekly #39 🗓 March 22nd, 2021 - How to Create Your Online Course
This week, I'm sharing 3 videos from Janelle Allen on how to validate your online course idea, how to create your content, and how to package your offering.
- Make sure your course idea has legs before investing time, energy and money into it
- Remember that the only true validation is sales—everything else is pre-validation
- Surveys: ask your audience about their challenges and solutions they've already tried
- Customer discovery interviews: talk to people—pay attention to the language they use
- e-Stalking: become a part of your target audience's community and listen intently
- Be wary of people "lying" to please you or avoid discomfort—we're only human
- Combine these ideas—e.g. interview survey respondents or e-stalk to verify answers
- Create ~30% of your content and pre-sell a live pilot to truly validate your course idea
- Use the live pilot to discover and fill gaps in your content—better find these early!
7 steps to running a live pilot:
- Validate your course idea
- Identify your course goal/desired transformation
- Outline your content
- Create your sales page
- Pre-sell the course
- Create the starter content
- Run the live pilot
At this point, I highly recommend that you actually watch the video. Janelle walks through a worked example, demonstrating how she goes about outlining one of her own courses.
I'll share some of my key takeaways below:
On creating your content
- Break down your course goal into a few key outcomes that contribute to it
- Break down the key outcomes into modules + further learning objectives per module
- Design lessons and assignments around those objectives
- Define some "wins" for each module—things to celebrate
On creating your sales page
- Use your audience's language
- Tell stories of transformation
- Show the modules and the lessons
- Share testimonials
- Share packages and pricing info (see the next video summary)
Again, check out the video—you'll love it!
- Increase revenue by providing extra value in premium packages
- Change the decision from 'yes' or 'no' to 'which package'
- Allow your audience to self-identify by picking the right package for them
- Start simple by offering 2 packages, or up to 3, with a middle option perfect for most
- Take inventory of everything you have to offer + what students need to succeed
- Don't have existing assets to offer yet? Give access to you as an extra
Janelle's next video is on pricing your packages! I might summarise this later, but if you're interested, you should definitely check it out: 3 Simple Ways to Price Your Online Course