Course Creators Weekly #47 🗓 May 17th, 2021 - Passive income is bullsh*t
In this article, Khe Hy debunks the myth of "passive income", and how it's a distraction from harder and more important questions about life.
My biggest takeaways:
- Every source of passive income requires either time or money; do the math
- There are always maintenance costs, from real estate investments to online courses
- Delegating everything will eat into your "passive" income + you're project managing
- "Passive income" is a myth—it's more like "time decoupled income" (h/t Tiago Forte)
- If you're chasing "passive income", ask yourself why + how will you spend your time?
Check out the article for more details!
- Nail your transformation—truly understand what students want
- Use stories, metaphors and analogies to help students grasp new knowledge
- Get students to discuss their learnings in breakout rooms and take actionable steps
- Teach what you're passionate about + have experienced first-hand or through clients
- Take inspiration from other CBCs—join them so you can see all the elements in action
- Encourage active learning through assignments + exchanging feedback with peers
- Create opportunities for people to meet and bond early, even before the official kickoff
- Use teaching as marketing—be your audience's trusted guide, even if they don't buy
- Find a partner, if you can, to help you with your course operations—lots to do
- Take your audience on a journey with you—let them get to know you (#buildinpublic)
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable—great advice and the title of her TED Talk
- Learn to detach your feeling of self-worth from how your work is received by the world
- Focus on the work itself, the truth, and why it matters to you—as if nobody is watching
- Strive to serve and connect with ONE person, even if that person is your past self
- Stop judging your own work—it can can be imperfect, yet incredible to somebody else
- On feeling like an impostor: "If you're doing the work, you've earned the title"—Luvvie
Listen to the episode to learn more about Luvvie and her inspiring story!